Here is a very cursory, very quick dump of some links you may find useful for quick-reference context when some ignorant jackass tries to insist that what is going on in Ferguson has nothing to do with race.
Note that this is not remotely comprehensive; it’s just what I happen to have open in tabs at the moment. Please add/amend/annotate as you see fit:
OTHER RELEVANT STUFF:
Best Twitter list of journalists reporting from the ground that I’ve found so far: https://twitter.com/thegarance/lists/ferguson
If you’ve got the money to spare, please throw some this way: http://twib.fm/ferguson/
(Edited to fix missing link.)
Do you ever just sort of die inside because if you were a fictional character, fandom would chalk up all your weaknesses and faults and blunders to misogyny on the authors’ part
"what’s fantastic about this movie is that it’s not that fucked up brand of feminism where the girls who arent like other girls and sip tea and read hemingway look down on the blonde party sluts. the message of the movie is like, you can be blonde and attractive AND enjoy stuff like shopping and partying and you can still be smart and kick ass!!!"
Yeah, because thin attractive blonde girls are soooo under-respresented. I mean I love legally blonde but come on.
More fat ugly weird heroines please. Not blonde party girls and not tea-sippers who are still thin and pretty and gender-conforming and popular and socially-skilled and abled.
Movies about fat ugly weird girls being awesome. ACTUALLY FAT, not Hollywood fat. ACTUALLY UGLY, not pretty girls who have been given glasses and a bad haircut which subsequently get removed. ACTUALLY WEIRD, not just “I like drinking tea, so ~quirky~” I mean the kind of weird where people randomly call the police on you when you are walking down the street because you are talking to yourself and walking funny. The kind of weird that gets you held down and sat on and punched on the school playground. The kind of weird where you’re asked to leave shops and restaurants because you’re “disturbing the other customers” when all you are doing is moving the way that is natural to you.
I want movies about Fat ugly weird girls.
- Fat ugly weird girls who like shopping
- fat ugly weird girls who like Hemingway
- fat ugly weird girls who like both
- fat ugly weird girls who like neither.
- Fat ugly weird girls who get almost perfect scores on the LSAT
- fat ugly weird girls with IQs below 60.
- Fat ugly weird girls who succeed in their chosen career
- Fat ugly weird girls who can’t even hold down a shelf-stacking job but who are still awesome.
- Fat ugly weird girls getting the hot guy.
- Fat ugly weird girls getting the hot girl.
- Fat ugly weird girls getting the hot genderqueer (that would be me!)
- Fat ugly weird girls getting the hot person and turning them down for another fat ugly weird person because the other fat ugly weird person is a nicer person.
- Fat ugly weird aromantic asexual girls who get romantic attention but say “sorry, not interested”
- Fat ugly weird girls who have loads of one night stands and never settle down
- Fat ugly weird girls of colour.
- Fat ugly weird girls with physical disabilities.
- Fat ugly weird girls with badbrains.
- Fat ugly weird trans girls
- Fat ugly weird single mothers.
- Fat ugly weird girls riding dragons.
- Fat ugly weird girls in space.
- Fat ugly weird girl spies.
- Fat ugly weird girl singers.
- Fat ugly weird girl scientists.
- Fat ugly weird girl poets.
- Fat ugly weird girl soldiers.
- Fat ugly weird girls travelling through time.
- Fat ugly weird girls bringing down the government.
- Fat ugly weird girls stopping people bringing down the government.
- Fat ugly weird girls solving crimes.
- Fat ugly weird girls who play the tuba
- Fat ugly weird girls with 17 very well-cared for pet lizards
- Fat ugly weird princesses
- Fat ugly weird girls who live in trailers
- Fat ugly weird girls escaping abusive relationships
- Fat ugly weird girls running for President
- Fat ugly weird girl demon protagonists who have to fight angel antagonists on behalf of human free will
- Fat ugly weird girls in period dramas
- Fat ugly weird girls participating in the Civil Rights movement and being badass
- Fat ugly weird girl composers
- Fat ugly weird girl farmers
- Fat ugly weird girl shapeshifters who COULD shift their default shape to be thin and pretty but choose not to
- Fat ugly weird girl telepaths
- Fat ugly weird superheroines
- Fat ugly weird girls learning not to hate themselves.
- Fat ugly weird girls who love themselves from the beginning of the story even though nobody else loves them.
FAT UGLY WEIRD GIRLS IN ALL THE MOVIES PLEASE.
I’ll buy tickets!
lbh, every time you share this picture a straight girl wanks
2 worthwhile effects with only one picture. Efficiency!
It’s important that people see this
I dont even know who this is, but the media pulls shit like this often and it should be publicized.
I have been thinking of Mark and the English Riots a fair bit in the last few days. Didn’t quite know what to say about it, though. Thank you for this. It is so relevant.
Next time you go walking around barefoot in the water…
oh hell no
I’m not sure what it is. Looks like a polychaete worm but I could be wrong.
Hello lovely people!
here are some sketches i did for a project i’m currently working on. it’s going to be a graphic novel!
now we need your help to realize “calico”
you can read more about the project here:
"CALICO" Kickstarter (written by cassandra a. clarke)
PLEASE SUPPORT US: share,reblog,like,love this project. it would help a lot : )
Gorgeous sketches! Good luck with your kickstarter.
This just gets funnier the longer I stare at it.
Akira Kurosawa (?) explains the 180º rule.
Paprika (2006) Dir. Satoshi Kon
So today I reached a very huge and kind of unbelievable follower milestone and to celebrate that as well as the release of The Battle of the Five Armies I have decided that it is high time that I do a give away to show you guys how much I love and appreciate you all! I’ve been wanting to do this for the longest time and now I finally have enough money saved up to make this a gooden!
What You Get:
- Lord of the Rings Extended DVD’s
- Bag End Door Necklace
- Hobbit Mole Skin Diary
- Letter Opener of Your Choice
- Your Very Own One Ring
- The Map of Thorin Oakenshield
- Hobbit Plush of your Choice
- Copies of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit Novels
- Collectors Edition The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition with Bilbo and Gollum Statue!
A few standard rules will apply of course just to keep this as fair as possible!
- Seeing as this is a follower giveaway, you must be following me :D
- Reblog as much as you want, just don’t spam your poor followers! ;D
- No giveaway blogs!
- You must be comfortable to give me your address, for obvious reasons.
- The winner will be picked completely at random and will have 24 hours to respond before I choose another via a random number generator.
This will stay open until December 1st 2014 and the winner will be contacted December 2nd. Good luck and have fun my pretties!
EDIT: I’m happy to ship anywhere in the world so no worries guys! Enjoy and happy entering! <3
There’s something about that idea of ownership over your body that I feel is quite resonant to women. It’s so interesting that it’s in the context of clones, but it’s all women dealing with this idea of, “Do I own my body? Is my body mine? Who am I if I don’t own my body? Who am I if somebody else has decided all this stuff?” - Tatiana Maslany (x)
a comic done by christianne benedict, posted on the womanthology art forum. brilliant!
YES. Jesus, thank you.
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to point out what the audience at conventions actually LOOKS like to people in the industry. They can do signings in a booth full of every kind of person all day long, every color, every size, every orientation and more, and STILL go online and talk about how only white straight males read comics.
IT IS PROFOUNDLY UNTRUE AND INSULTINGLY IGNORANT.
unfriendly reminder that body-shaming terrible people is still body-shaming, still sends the message that people can be objectively ugly, that being...
- bhekugiepxcm said:WOMAN1: I just lost my baby after 10 weeks of pregnancy. I feel so sad. FEMINISTS: Aw, we feel so sorry for you. Your and your baby had a precious bond and I'm sure she's loving you from heaven. WOMAN2: I just had an abortion at 10 weeks. I'm not sorry. FEMINISTS: Good for you! That gob of goo is definitely not a baby and deserves no respect whatsoever.
People have emotional connections to things that are not actually sapient. If I had a fish and my fish died, then I would be really sad, even though...
my parents are visiting tomorrow
please pray, think good thoughts, or acausally trade with superintelligences for me, as per your belief system
- Congratulations, Superhero Girl
The Adventures of Superhero Girl is one of my favorite comics, and one of the ones I’m proudest to have...
- Trains and Their AlternativesBy far, my favorite species of libertarian writing is the article which attacks a government spending project by...